Thursday, July 30, 2009

In A Quandry...

Tonight I sit here with my future on my mind. That is, career-wise, of course. I have been working full time from home as a freelance writer for a little over a month now and I am truly happier than I have ever been. Technically, I have been working from home for over a year and a half now, but it is only recently that I decided to give up my job as a customer service/sales agent and concentrate on doing only nonphone work. Basically, I got burned out. So, I took the plunge and applied for a couple writing jobs. Once I acquired those jobs, I forged on to see how I like it and if I can make a decent living at it. Thankfully, the answer to both those questions is yes!
So here's where my quandry comes in...I am currently attending college to gain my AAS degree in Medical Administration. While I am sure a career in Medical Administration would be a great improvement financially, will I be happy? I have always had a great interest in anything in the medical field and felt I was on the right path when I chose my degree. In fact, I still feel that way to some extent. But, in all honesty, if I knew I could do just as well financially and still give my family a better life, I would change my major to something in the field of writing. I have enjoyed writing since I first discovered I was pretty good at it when I was in high school. Now that I am doing it full time to earn my living I love it even more.
But, there's still that fear in me that makes me wonder if it is something I can make a career out of. So, for now, I suppose it is probably in my best interest and the best interest of my family, if I continue on with Plan A of getting my AAS degree in Medical Administration. If I am totally miserable (which I'm almost certain I won't be) working in a Drs office, I can always have my writing to fall back on. But still I wonder, if I hadn't started working as a freelance writer only a few weeks ago, would I even be having these doubts right now?

No comments: